May 30, 2019
Wicked Local: Hingham
Hingham Derby Street debuts new green space to host outdoor events this summer
A new outdoor, green space at Hingham’s Derby Street Shops will be home to events and activities through October.
The Derby Street Shops will host fitness classes like Oh Baby! Fitness Stroller Class and the lululemon Run Club and kid friendly activities like sing-alongs at the green space, located between REI and Kohl’s.
One time events include a Derby Street Block Party. Events are open to the public.
“We started using the space for our event programming last year and found that local families enjoyed it as a safe place for children to play and partake in popular happenings such as our music series, Derby Street Sounds,” General Manager of Derby Street Shops Sherri Schuler said in a statement. “We look forward to welcoming the community to the new green space all season long.”
Derby Street Shops partnered with South Shore Health for the space and activities.
“South Shore Health is committed to redefining world-class care in the communities we serve,“President of South Shore Health Gene E. Green said in a statement. “The new green space, now known as Derby St. Green in partnership with South Shore Health represents our continued commitment to serve the health and wellness needs of Hingham and all of the surrounding communities.”
A full schedule of events follows below. Additional events and activities will be announced throughout the season.
– South Shore Health Wellness Check session: Every Tuesday, 10–10:30 a.m. until Sept. 24.
– South Shore Health Speaker Series: 9:30–10:30 a.m. Fridays, June 7, July 12, Aug. 16, Oct. 4.
– Wellness on the Green: 10–11 a.m., Wednesdays, June 12, June 26, July 3, July 17, July 31, Aug. 14 and 28. Features wellness programs.
– Derby St. Green Block Party: 11 a.m.–1 p.m., Thursday, June 20 (Rain Date: June 21).
– Back to School Picnic: 10 a.m.–12 p.m., Wednesday, Aug. 21 (Rain Date: Aug. 22).
– Bubbles & Bubbles: 4:30-6:30 p.m., Friday, Sept. 20 (Rain Date: Sept. 21). Features bubbles and activities for kids and champagne for adults.
– Boo Bash Halloween celebration: 4:30-6:30 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 26 (Rain Date: Oct. 27).
Derby Street Sweat fitness classes
– Oh Baby! Fitness Stroller Class: Every Tuesday, 9–10 a.m., and Saturday, 8:45–9:45 a.m., until Sept. 28
– Cardio Sport: 9:30–10:30 a.m. Thursdays until Aug. 29 (except July 4). Group fitness suitable for all levels.
– lululemon Run Club: 9–10 a.m., Saturday, June 1, June 22, July 13, July 27 and Aug. 10, 2-3 mile jog around Derby Street.
Kid friendly events
– Story Time with Barnes & Noble: 10:30–11:30 a.m. Tuesdays until Sept. 24.
– MamaSteph: 10–11:30 a.m., Wednesday, June 5, June 19, July 10, July 24, Aug. 7 and Aug. 21. Features a local musician singing kid’s songs, Located in the space next to Rustic Kitchen.
– South Shore Conservatory Music Series: 11 a.m.–12 p.m. Monday and Thursday, June 17–Aug. 22 (except July 4).
– Face Painting and Balloon Art: Noon–2 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 5, Sunday, Oct. 13, 20, and 27.